(TheLibertyRevolution.com)- A documentary filmmaker who took footage during the Capitol riot on January 6, 2021, has been subpoenaed by the Department of Justice.
On the exact same day that Jack Smith assumed his role as the DOJ’s special counsel over the January 6 investigation, the department issued the subpoena to filmmaker Alex Holder.
In addition to overseeing the DOJ’s investigation into the efforts to stop the peaceful transition of power in early 2021, Smith is also overseeing its investigation into the alleged classified documents that former President Donald Trump stored at his Mar-a-Lago home in Florida.
This isn’t the first subpoena that Holder has received for this footage. He received one by the House’s special committee investigating the Capitol riot as well as a district attorney in Georgia — both of whom are investigating the efforts that Trump and his allies made to keep him in office after the 2020 presidential election.
During its investigation, the House panel sought records from a wide variety of sources and types. It interviewed many former members of the Trump administration, including Vice President Mike Pence, as well as members of his own family.
This subpoena issued by the DOJ is much narrower in scope, though, as it only wants to obtain the raw footage that Holder shot during the Capitol riot.
A spokesperson who’s representing Holder said that, “As we did with the other two subpoenas, we will 100% comply” with this recent order by the DOJ.
Holder has been ordered to appear before a grand jury for the investigation on January 30.
In July, the miniseries that Holder produced, called “Unprecedented,” was released.
In a statement that he put out on Twitter about it all, Holder said:
“When we began this project in September 2020 we never could have predicted that our work would one day be subpoenaed by Congress. As a British filmmaker I had no agenda coming into this. We simply wanted to better understand who the Trumps were and what motivated them to hold onto power so desperately.”
The news that the DOJ has subpoenaed Holder for the raw footage he shot comes just as the Biden administration was able to gain another major victory in the prosecution of those charged during the January 6 Capitol riots.
Earlier this week, guilty verdicts were returned on the major charges that were levied against all five member of the Oath Keepers who were put on trial. That included guilty verdicts for charges of seditious conspiracy for some of them, which are quite serious charges.
On Wednesday, Attorney General Merrick Garland chose not to celebrate those victories in court, but focus on the work that he said is still ahead of the Department of Justice in this regard. He said:
“As the verdict of this case makes clear, the department will work tirelessly to hold accountable those responsible for crimes related to the attack on our democracy on January 6.”