Man Who Faked His Disappearance Could Face Charges

Houston police officials announced on Thursday that they are considering filing charges against Randolph “Rudy” Farias IV and his mother, Janie Santana, for allegedly giving false identities to authorities during a missing person’s inquiry.

After Farias, 25, was discovered badly injured on June 29 outside a local church, police released fresh information about his disappearance and presumed death eight years prior. During the press briefing, Houston Police Lieutenant Christopher Zamora explained that Farias, who had been reported missing on March 7, 2015, had returned home the next day.

Farias, who was 17 then, and his mother spoke with police on Wednesday to answer questions and offer further details. Family members, acquaintances, and community activists have all made remarks that raise serious doubts about whether or not Santana mistreated him, maybe sexually.

Zamora noted that it is against the law to give a false name when detained, under arrest, or filing a police report. Zamora works in the homicide and missing people area of the police department. 

Multiple visits were made by investigators to the Farias residence, and interviews with family, friends, and neighbors were conducted. Zamora said they were providing fake names.

Janie, Rudy’s mom, kept insisting that Rudy was missing. She said her nephew was the guy her neighbors and relatives saw coming and departing.

Yesterday, Detective Sergeant Stephen Jimenez examined Farias and concluded that the claims that Santana sexually abused her kid could not be confirmed.

“I’ve been taught to look for signs of guilt,” he remarked. I’ve had extensive training to identify remarks that might assist me in pressing charges or advancing a case. In addition, no one has made any remarks so far in this probe.

According to Zamora, Santana submitted the missing person report on March 7, 2015, which might lead to his being charged with a misdemeanor like receiving a traffic ticket.

Until further investigation is completed, the Harris County District Attorney’s Office under Kim Ogg has decided not to press charges connected to made-up names and false claims.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner stated that it is too early to determine if Farias has a mental illness and that he would not say whether Farias is a victim in this case.

Finner was questioned extensively about the decision to return Farias to his mother, who submitted the report and has been called into doubt by the court of public opinion.

He said Farias is living with his mom “by choice,” adding, “He’s a 25-year-old man.”

After being spotted outside the church, Zamora said Farias refused police-guided transportation to a hospital. His mother took him.